Custom Search

Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Power of Attraction

I’ve written about the power of attraction before, but an experience I had on Thursday and Friday just reminded me of exactly how powerful this principle is:


On Thursday, I attended and spoke at a marketing conference (Cherryflava Brand Hooligans – www.cherryflava.com). I was there in my capacity as the owner of Chariot Limousines, and had one of my vehicles there to shuttle a few lucky delegates between some of the venues. After the day’s speakers were done, we had a networking function at the Daddy Cool bar at the Grand Daddy Hotel. There, I got talking to the owner of the hotel and his business partner, and the conversation worked its way towards how we could use my limo’s to do airport transfers for his hotel/s. The two brands would work well together, and hopefully something will come of our conversation, but the real power came through the next day…


The four months between February and May are generally the quietest months of the year for my limo business. Understandably, this year has been exceptionally quiet, as our service is seen as a luxury, and would be one of the first things to be cut out of people’s budgets when they fall upon hard financial times. The business has still been ticking over, but I’ll admit that, of late, I have put nowhere near the amount of time and energy into it as I should have. I’ve been quite content to focus my time on my new ‘day job’ as a financial manager, and have put in the minimum of effort for my own businesses. For the conference on Thursday, though, I made the effort to take one of my cars out for pretty much the whole day, without being paid a cent, and made a point of talking about my business to as many people as I could.


On Friday, my phone didn’t stop ringing! At this time of year, I would probably take 2-3 calls a day for limousine enquiries, but on Friday I took well over a dozen. Even better than that, of the calls I took, four turned into confirmed bookings by the end of the day – confirmed, paid, the lot! All in all, it was an exceptionally good day for the business…


This just served as a reminder of how powerfully the principle of focus and attraction operates. What you focus on expands; and what you pour positive energy into attracts a positive response. I had been ignoring the inherent potential of my business, hadn’t been focusing on it, and had let it stagnate to a degree. Soaking up the atmosphere at the conference, I got a jolt of inspiration to talk about and focus on my business, and it paid off handsomely! It was a lesson to me (and hopefully now to you) that, no matter how down and out you may feel about something, never accept the negativity. Re-focus your time, energy and spirit, draw the original reasons for wanting to do whatever it is up out of the recesses of your mind, and get inspired. Get off your ass, get out there, just do something, and you’ll start to see results!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gareth

    Very Inspiring blog! I think I'm going to take some of that advice and stay positive today.

    Thanks
    Russell

    ReplyDelete

What was the first thing that came to mind when you read this post?