Custom Search

Monday, August 31, 2009

Learn, learn, and learn some more…

I fully believe in the principle of continuous learning. This is where a person chooses to actively learn something that is not necessarily prescribed to them to do so by their boss, teacher, mentor, etc. They find something that interests them, or something that could help them in some way, and take the time and effort to study it – taking what they learn on board in their everyday lives.


When the subject of learning comes up, many people I meet feel that they’ve done all the learning they need to. “I did well at school” they say, or “I’ve paid my dues at university”; and they have no intention of taking any more courses ever again. I can’t help but feel that they are really limiting themselves by having that mindset. The way I see it is: Learning is growing, and if you’re not growing, you’re dying. There is so much to this wonderful world of ours – how could you not want to find out as much as you can?


And it’s not only to cure your inquisitiveness that I prescribe ongoing learning, either. Learning more, and having an open mind, makes you a better friend, a better parent, a better employee – just a well-rounded person in general. Think about it: If your kid one day asks you about how electricity works, would you not rather be able to give them some form of educated answer, rather than “Uhhhh, I don’t really know…”? Or if two people are applying for the same position at some company: They’re the same age, have the same qualifications, have the same experience, but one happens to have done a course in marketing, or speaks an extra language. Who do you think they’re gonna hire?


I’ve practiced this principle for most of my teenage and adult life, and I feel it’s made me a much more balanced individual. Having studied seemingly random courses, and having seen things from the viewpoint of industries I previously knew very little about, has opened up my mind to the world of possibilities out there, and given me a much wider perspective on almost everything. Knowing a little about many industries or topics allows you to see the common threads that run between them, and perhaps even spot opportunities for them to combine and collaborate, creating a whole new industry or area rich with possibility (and potentially profit!).


Right now, I’m 25 years old, and here’s a summary of what I have studied “officially”:


  • At age 16, while still in high school, I qualified as a cocktail bartender. Not even old enough to work behind the bar, on the surface I learnt how to combine flavours and alcohol to make a killer cocktail. Over and above that, though, I learnt about stock control, up-selling, reading patrons, crowd control, and the nightlife industry in general.
  • After finishing high school, I did a degree in Accounting at university. Not only did this teach me about the technicality and processes of being a good accountant, but I also learnt about the different inter-dependent parts and functions of a business (like marketing, operations, staffing, cost control, growth) as well as the business world in general (finance, economics, statistics, valuations).
  • Not content to just learn about business, I took French and Spanish as extra subjects while at university. I haven’t been able to use them as much as I’d like to have, but they’ve exposed me to the culture and lifestyle of these fascinating people (and never fail to impress women!).
  • Also while at university, I passed the Estate Agents Board Exam, and became a certified estate agent. Again, this was about more than learning to sell houses – it taught me about the housing market cycles, property types, housing legislation, how home-owners can get caught out, how to nail down a bargain, developers methods, and much more.
  • After finishing my undergraduate degree, I decided to take a year off from studying and focus on growing my limousine business. Two months out of university and the environment of learning, I started to get fidgety. So I registered to do a Paralegal Diploma through a private college. The course was part-time, so I was able to spend time on my business, and it really opened my eyes to the legal side of the world. I learnt about criminal law; civil law; what happens to your assets when you die; contract law; the legal system; and plenty more.
  • Deciding that I needed a bit more than an undergraduate degree to pass muster in the cut-and-thrust corporate world, I then did my Honours degree in Taxation over the next two years. While this obviously taught me the nitty-gritty of our tax system, I also learnt about how to read and decipher legal judgements and legislation, as this was the essence of the course material. It was fantastic, as I went in a number-focused accountant, and came out thinking like a sharp-minded lawyer. Being extremely demanding, this course was also an exercise in time management – we were expected to put in a couple of hours of study every day, while we all had full-time jobs or businesses to run! It also made me raise my game in terms of the people I associated with – I was the youngest member of the class by a good few years, and it introduced me to a brilliant network of professionals and business owners.
  • This year, I have just finished a certificate in Guest House Management (through www.getsmarter.co.za – a great learning provider, check them out). Well over and above what the title suggests, it has given me amazing insights into the travel and tourism industry in general, which will be priceless for the future!


And it doesn’t stop there! As I’m looking at opening a coaching and business advisory practice later this year, I’ve just started a life-coaching course. Not only will this give me the knowledge and tools to help others and run a successful practice, but I’m also applying the principles inwards, and learning an absolute ton about myself in the process.


Having read this, don’t feel that you have to run out there and sign up for your nearest university course, either. There are many other ways to broaden your mind: pick up a book or two on a topic that interests you; read a newspaper; follow blogs about your particular industry; ask questions of people you admire. There’s so much to learn out there, just pick a topic, and get going. One day you’ll look back, and be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What was the first thing that came to mind when you read this post?